Last night was our first night in the house again. It's been somewhere near 8 months since we crashed there for the night.
All day Saturday, Mama was getting us ready for our first night. The bed sheets came off the bed in the camper and into the house, the queen bed came out of the container, including the mattress, box spring and headboard, and various other things to make our first night, and morning, as normal as can be.
We're still walking on hardwood that's not 100% cured yet, so we can't move furniture into any of the downstairs common areas yet. That also means that the fridge and dishwasher need to wait til Wednesday to get installed.
However, speaking of appliances, I do have the gas cooktop, wall oven and microwave installed and working. The hood over the cooktop is in place and working too, but the sheet metal guy still needs to connect the vent. Right now, it's just blowing into the cabinet space above the cooktop.
After we woke up this morning, I took a long shower in the new bathroom upstairs. Compared to the camper, and even the tub/showers in the rest of the house, there is so much room in there that it feels absolutely decadent! The tile work was very well done, and though we're foregoing a glass shower door for a vinyl shower curtain for now (to save a couple pennies), it's still a huge improvement over what we've been enduring.
There has been a long standing milestone in this construction project which was that when the carpet is getting installed, it's the last thing that gets done, and you're nearly there.
In most aspects, it's true. Today, the carpeteers arrived and began installing carpet in all the locations which were designated, specifically, the upstairs master suite, the stairway, and the three downstairs bedrooms.
It's not the very last thing that's going in, though. There are still lots of little things that need to get done. Most are now on our general's plate, and luckily not mine. I've been busy knocking my tasks off the list.
For example, the baseboards in the hardwood areas are going in today. The last of the electrical needs to be hooked up (oven hood, under cabinet lighting, upstairs furnace), the exterior paint needs to get done, nay, get started. The upstairs bathroom vanity top needs to be installed.
Lots of little things. But we do have a short term target of spending our first night in the house this coming Sunday. Exciting stuff. We are almost there!
The hardwood floor guys showed up again bright and early today. Though I felt like I was in my deathbed, I saw them come in, inspect the first coat and how much traffic we gave it already over the weekend, lightly sand and putty where needed, then apply the second coat.
As with the first coat, immediately after the application, the entire house smelled of polyurethane and the floors were really slick, wet looking. And they're looking better all the time.
Yesterday, Saturday, I felt like some bug was coming on fast. I got as much work done as I could on the house, then broke late afternoon to visit with our next door neighbors. They hosted an egg hunt for our girl and their grand daughter.
By the time we left there, I was coming down with the serious chills, shaking and all. Got some food into me and straight to bed I went. Felt hot the entire night and I didn't sleep well. All today my temperature was up (nearly 104F) and down (100.0F). No food except Popsicles and ice cream appealed. I also had a headache that felt as though it was hangover associated.
Had no choice but to stay in bed and watch movies all day.
Grandma came over mid afternoon to deliver an Easter basket for our girl. She woke me up in the process, but was good enough to fetch me a refill of water. Hadn't been staying hydrated enough anyway.
What a way to spend a beautiful Easter Sunday day. Felt like I got hit by a train.
After having clearance from the inspector for getting power back over to the house for about two weeks now, or more, PG&E finally showed up and made it happen.
I was the one who got to throw the main breaker to the ON position, and then I started turning on the individual circuits to ON. Everything seemed to work well. We have some interior lighting that's working, including the mood-setting rope lighting embedded in the skylight, we have power inside the house, and even the hard wired smoke detectors are operating (we quickly learned we have one bad one).
This is a milestone we've been waiting on for a while now. We can even now run the (downstairs) furnace.