On Sunday, I got a series of calls from some guy named Victor. He was from Watsonville and interested in the camper I've had advertised on CL for many weeks now.
His issue, as seems to be the typical case lately, was that he only had a certain amount of cash and if I'd take that amount. What I really don't like doing is starting the selling process with price haggling. I mean, the buyer hasn't even seen the unit yet!
His offer was a bit below what I had in mind, so I made him work on getting a few more dollars together. He called back and said he couldn't, and if I'd reconsider. Nope; there's still a lot of interest, so if he wanted it, he'd have to work harder. He called back again, later in the evening and said he was able to secure the funds.
He came by yesterday after work with his buddy who was more familiar with campers than he was. They both checked it out and were satisfied and wanted to do the deal and be out of here.
So we did. And the camper is now gone and we regained a lot of our driveway back. It's kinda weird how quickly it happened. But this was part of the overall plan, so it's not like it wasn't expected or wanted, and it's not like we really grew attached to our temporary housing.
I just hope he packs those wheel bearings before pulling it all the way down to Lake San Antonio.
We're now all finished with contractors. That's right, no more are on deck to come for this remodel. All done.
The back patio, the driveway approach, and the pieces behind the garage are all in now, and looking good.
We're really happy with this, wife described it as "monumental", not that it was a huge concrete pour, but that it was the last piece, and very visible. It really helps make the place look finished. And, like I mentioned, it was the last part a contractor had to play.
Now to finish loading the dumpster with all the excess dirt and concrete piled on our driveway.
Yesterday, our concrete guy showed up, as promised. We walked around the place looking at the three main areas to be worked on: The back patio, the front driveway approach, and the in-fill needed in the side patio which had to be removed to install the stairwell.
It's all pretty straightforward, with his biggest concern being how the piers for the supports of the covered patio would look in the end. We reassured him that we were going to wrap the posts, and the new, but existing, concrete piers, with kild dried, pre-primed exterior trim wood, so he didn't have to worry about it.
The stoop coming from the back slider door is going to be bigger than it was before, going from the line of the halfway point of the window, all the way to the end of the house. It will also have a bit of a curve to it to soften it up a bit.
The front driveway will be sloped to allow drainage away from the structure. I also flagged that we intend to install a gate and fence across the front patio approach, so once the concrete is poured, he'll need to insert a Simpson strong tie that will anchor a fence post into the slab. All sounds good, and he's been pretty easy to work with.
At the end of the work day, the old back stoop had been removed along with the piers that held up the old trellis patio cover.
Today, he and his guy showed up around 9AM and after delivering instructions, his guy started to excavate the three areas and begin to build the forms.
He's expecting to pour on Thursday, so I'll need to take a work at home day on Thursday.